Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Roasted Spaghetti Squash Salad with Carrots, Red Cabbage, Peas & Feta

I love spaghetti squash. It's one of my favorite fall foods if not one of my favorite foods of all time. It's so versatile and easy to prepare, even a cave man can make it. This amazing yellow, oblong vegetable is loaded with antioxidants and lots of other good things - AND would you believe it has less than 50 calories per cup. Yes, it IS one of my best friends. Have I convinced you yet? Just try this amazing power salad I've created. You can thank me later. ~Audrey
Ingredients:
1 spaghetti squash
1-1/2 cup vegetable broth
2 sprigs rosemary
2 sprigs thyme
2 sage leaves
4-5 cloves garlic
1 large carrot, shredded
1/4 cup red cabbage, shredded
1/4 cup peas
1/4 cup dried currants
1 green onion, diced
Dressing:
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey
fresh grated nutmeg, optional
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Tip before roasting your spaghetti squash
I like to heat my spaghetti squash in the microwave for about 4-5 minutes before I attempt to cut it in half.  This softens it enough to cut easily.  Make sure you pierce the squash 4-5 times with a sharp knife before placing in the microwave. Then, cut off the ends, and cut in half. Scoop out the seeds and set aside. You can simply roast spaghetti squash in water, but I like lots of flavor so I use vegetable broth and add in garlic cloves and fresh herbs like sage and rosemary...talk about making your house smell good!     

In a baking dish, add vegetable broth, sage, rosemary and thyme-yes, just like the song (sans parsley) and garlic cloves. Place spaghetti squash cut side down and roast 30-40 minutes.  

While this is roasting, separate the seeds from the hollowed out remains. Place on a small baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. 

Place in oven during the last 15 minutes of roasting time. I like to stir the seeds every 5 minutes or so to get an even roast on them.


You'll know it's done when it's tender and shreds apart like spaghetti strands. Let cool for a few minutes before handling. Using a fork, scrape out squash from one half and place in a large bowl. Save the other half for the other recipe I posted.....Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Mushrooms and Thyme.  

Add carrots, peas and cabbage to spaghetti squash.  And don't forget the currants. Sprinkle in a little fresh grated nutmeg if you have it on hand. Mix everything together.

For the dressing....simply whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon and honey. Add salt and pepper to taste. 

I like to eat this salad on a bed of kale or spinach for extra nutritional punch. Garnish with feta cheese, green onion and roasted spaghetti squash seeds. Drizzle a little dressing on top. With so many flavors going on, a little dressing goes a long way. Now you have yourself a yummy, low calorie power salad. You're welcome :)

Serves 2-4