Saturday, August 10, 2013

Alaska Blueberry Layered Dessert

This is probably the most popular recipe out of the Nome Centennial Cookbook 1898 - 1998. It's become a classic "Nome" dessert. It's a cream cheese, whipped cream and blueberry concoction, layered over a walnut crust. I just remember eating this as a kid and thinking it was heaven. I spent all my childhood summers in Nome visiting my grandma and Aunt Jan, and every fall we would pick gallons and gallons of blueberries from the tundra...well they did, I just played with the other kids :) This blueberry dessert is way better than blueberry pie (in my humble opinion) and is a snap to make. ~Audrey
Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1 cup margarine*
1 cup chopped walnuts
8oz package cream cheese (room temperature)
1 cup powdered sugar
2 - 8oz containers Cool Whip*
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
2 tablespoons dry raspberry Jell-O
1 quart fresh or frozen blueberries


First Layer
Mix flour and margarine together until crumbly.  I used my Kitchen Aid but you can also use a hand mixer. Add 1 cup chopped walnuts and continue mixing until you get a creamy batter. Pat into 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.


Cream Layer
Whip room temperature cream cheese with powdered sugar. Fold in one 8oz container Cool Whip dessert topping. Place on cooled cookie layer in dabs, then spread carefully to level. Chill well.


Berry Layer
Blend sugar with cornstarch in saucepan. Add 1 cup water. Boil over medium heat until thick and clear, stirring constantly.  


Add dry raspberry Jell-O and stir until completely dissolved. 
Add fresh or frozen blueberries; remove from heat.  
Chill berry mixture for about an hour to prevent melting the cheese layer.  


Once cooled, spread berry layer over cream cheese layer. Chill well, about and hour, then top with another 8oz of Cool Whip.


It's best to let chill for 2-3 hours before serving. But if you're like me and can't resist, feel free to dig in. It won't look as pretty on the plate but it still tastes like heaven.

Recipe by Theresa Norbert Waters from the 
Nome Centennial Cookbook 1898- 1998 

* I like to use real butter instead of margarine
* I make my own whip cream instead of using Cool Whip


My buddy Margaret and I on the hunt for blueberries somewhere North of Fairbanks.


The summer/fall of 2013 was a great year for blueberries in the interior of Alaska.  My good friend Diane even flew up from Anchorage to pick with me-twice!