Thursday, March 8, 2012

Morel Mushroom Soup


This past summer I went Morel mushroom hunting for the first time with my friends Margaret and Sep.  We drove about 2 hours North of my hometown, Fairbanks, to an area that had been burned by a forest fire the year before - the perfect conditions for Morels to grow.  But it wasn't easy by any means.  It was more like hunting for a needle in a hay stack.  However, once I got "Morel Eye" it was super fun and totally worth it.  Morels have a very distinctive flavor and are highly prized among mushroom lovers and foodies.  I decided to dry my harvest so I could make a rich, creamy, warm soup this winter....so that's what I did! ~Audrey

If you are using dried Morels, reconstitute them in warm water for about 

15-20 minutes.

Ingredients:
8 oz. fresh Morels, sliced 
or
1 oz. dried Morels, reconstituted and then sliced
1/2 cup butter
1 large onion, diced
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups beef broth
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups heavy cream

Melt butter in large pot over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, thyme, salt and pepper.  Saute about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent. 

Add sliced Morels, beef broth, and flour.  Stir and bring to a boil.  Turn the heat down to low and add the cream, simmer about 5 minutes.  

Puree soup in small batches in a blender and serve...delish!  

Serves 4

Note: You can also use chicken or veggie broth, but I think the beef broth brings out the flavor of the mushrooms better.  If you want to lighten the soup up a bit, you can use half & half instead of heavy cream to save on fat and calories.


One of the many forest fires close to Fairbanks, summer 2011


Audrey, morel mushroom hunting in a burned out forest, North of Fairbanks, Alaska.


Margaret & Sep, my fellow mushroom hunters.