Thursday, July 31, 2014

Blueberry + Raspberry Chia Jam


This is a recipe I adapted from Bob's Red Mill. I love making chia jam because it's way easier to make than regular jam, has less sugar and the chia seeds are loaded with Omega 3's, protein, fiber and antioxidants. Plus, it gives me an outlet to use all the blueberries I pick this time of year. I'm kind of a blueberry junkie :) I love this jam with plain Greek yogurt. It's a little bit of heaven in a bowl. ~Audrey
Ingredients:
1 cup blueberries
2 cups raspberries
1/4 cup 100% pure maple syrup
1/4 cup chia seeds
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Makes 1 pint


Blueberries in the Alaska Interior are big due to our long hot summer days and nights. I like to call them Alaskan grapes.


Combine berries and maple syrup in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until berries begin to soften and burst, about 5 minutes.

Add chia seeds and lemon zest, cook until very thick, about 15 minutes. Stir often or it will start sticking to the bottom of the pan.


Remove from heat and add vanilla extract. Let cool for about 10 minutes then pour into a pint jar. I like to leave it on my kitchen counter to cool for another half hour or so before I put the lid on.

Store in refrigerator for up to 7 days...but it probably won't last that long :)

I love combining my chia jam with plain Greek yogurt. It's soooo good and good for you. Of course it's also nice the old fashioned way, on buttered toast.

Beautiful blueberries.

Raspberries from my friend's garden. 

My favorite "secret" blueberry spot, north of Fairbanks, Alaska. There was a forest fire here about 7 years ago - that's why the spruce trees are charred. The ash from the fire created perfect conditions for blueberries to grow here. As always, Mother Nature knows best.


The basic chia jam recipe is on the back of the bag.

1 comment:

  1. Can this be jarred for shelf stable jam? I've read other blogs that say no, but I'm dying to find a recipe that uses these ingredients to jar vs. the loaded sugar recipes that seem to take all the flavor out of the berries!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.