Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Copper River Sockeye Salmon Caviar


Making caviar is easier than you think. I just used a simple salt brine to cure freshly caught Copper River Sockeye salmon eggs and VOILA, 30 minutes later I had caviar. My favorite way to enjoy salmon caviar is on rye crackers spread with cream cheese and a nice glass of chilled rosé. I love Alaska summers! ~Audrey

Ingredients:
3-4 skeins of salmon eggs
1 cup kosher salt
3 quarts warm water

Makes enough to fill about 4 half pint mason jars

Rinse salmon skeins (egg sacks) under cold water. 

Make your brine by adding salt to a pot of warm water and stir until dissolved. You don't want boiling water. I just used hot water right out of my tap which is probably about 100 degrees Fahrenheit. 

I used my 5 quart enamel coated cast iron pot. You want to use a pot or container that's large enough to cover the skeins completely in the brine.

Let skeins soak in the brine for about 30 minutes. This is curing the eggs. After 30 minutes you need to gently massage the eggs out of the skein with your hands. This separates the eggs from the sack. Discard the membrane pieces.

Strain eggs in a colander and rinse with cold water. I like my caviar on the salty side but if you don't, then rinse until you like the taste.

Store in clean glass jars in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Serve with your favorite crackers and cream cheese. Don't forget the rosé :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.